Vons: FREE Slim-Fast Bars & Ore-Ida Easy Fries!

by Jess on September 27, 2010

I just got back from doing a quick Vons shopping trip and discovered a few unadvertised freebies and other cheap deals! Oh, and it’s 102 degrees near the beach today. Umm…what?! I thought it was Fall.

Slim-Fast Peanut Butter Crunch Time Bar | 50¢
- $1/1 ANY Slim-Fast printable coupon
Final Price: FREE + possible 50¢ profit
*When I saw the name of this flavor, I couldn’t help but have this song stuck in my head for the rest of my trip. :P Did I tell you it’s hot here?!?

Ore-Ida Easy Fries | $1.50 (regular price)
- $3/2 from Vons “Over $70 in Savings” Coupon Booklet
Final Price: 2 FREE!

Philadelphia Cream Cheese | $1.50 (until 9/28)
- $5/5 Kraft printable coupon
OR – $1/2 from Vons “Over $70 in Savings” Coupon Booklet
Final Price: as low as 50¢ each

I’m hearing from several of you that many stores still do not have the $70 coupon booklets out on display. Mine doesn’t either, but today I asked the cashier if she knew anything about them and sure enough they were holding the booklets hostage behind the customer service desk, so try there.

Speaking of coupon booklets, I still have yet to find the “Summer Savings” coupon booklet although there are signs up for it. Vons, why make these awesome coupon booklets if you aren’t going to put them out for people to take?! Grr…

Check out the rest of the deals at Vons this week here!

(Thanks, Slick Deals)

geegarland September 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm

HA…I had to make a return today to Vons because I was at self-check out last night and I had already held up the line and I didn't want to have the cashier come over yet again (I usually shop during the morning hours when no one else is shopping). Anyway, I thought I had purchased enough for a $5 off 5 but it didn't work out, thus the return today. And sure enough, at the customer service desk, $70 coupon booklets. And my Vons has the signs up and no Summer Savings coupon booklets either. Oh Vons.

Jess @ This Frugal Life September 27, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I so wish my Vons had self checkout! They recently revamped my Ralphs and added the option there, which is so much fun and gives me much less anxiety when I have a lot of coupons.

Oh Vons is right!

Kat September 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I just came back from Vons and had a very fun time indeed. 5 Phili Cream Cheeses, 4 Ore Ida Tater Tots, 3 Silk Soy Milks, 2 Oscar Mayer hot dogs, a birthday candle for my little guy, and some tomatoes all for the grand total of $11.00..Yea. I love this.

Jess @ This Frugal Life September 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Woohoo! Go, Kat! Did you ever thing grocery shopping could be so much fun?!

Kat September 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I have to tell ya Jess, I use to hate shopping but now its like a game…very addicting. I love going to the guy checkers at Vons because they are so friendly and they just crack up at how much I save. If I spend over 10 bucks, they are like what happened..lol. My Vons and Ralphs are very coupon friendly. So it makes shopping easy.
I love your blog and glad that you are local. I am here in Long Beach and I love the deals you post. Oh Yea, how are you doing in the contest??? I voted for ya!

Jess @ This Frugal Life September 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

It really does make all difference if you can shop at a coupon friendly store. I have two Vons locations in my town and one of them is anti-coupon and the other one just 5 minutes away is super friendly and encouraging.

The contest is going great! I was holding steady at 5th place, but now I've slipped to 7th so I'm crossing my fingers I make the final cut! Thank you SO much for voting for me, I really appreciate it :)

siggo September 28, 2010 at 12:37 am

at my safeway (norcal) they almost wouldn't let me use the slim fast coupons since the coupon exceeded the item price…but i made them reduce the coupon price (after much resistance on their end) .. and then the guy accused me of using copied coupons (since one of the coupons had bad ink quality – printer is running out of ink!). they eventually put them all through.

however i got the ora ida fries with overage since they were on sale 3/$4 with no problems..so in that transaction i saved 110% lol

Jess @ This Frugal Life September 28, 2010 at 1:05 am

I'm always surprised when I run into cashiers at Vons that don't know that they can manually reduce a coupons value. Kudos to you for standing up for yourself, after all it's in the Vons/Safeway Coupon Policy that they DO reduce a coupons value if it exceeds the sale price.

It's kind of funny your cashier gave you grief about it, technically they made money off your coupon because Safeway is going to be reimbursed for the full dollar amount plus handling!

M September 28, 2010 at 1:54 am

Yep, the $70 cqbk's are being held hostage! Must be some good cq inside!! Had to ask for one @ checkout.. was told one per guest.. err!
But I did get a couple of the new Vons Save $13 bk in the beauty aisle =)