Target & CVS Shopping – Spent $4.85, Saved 96%!

by Jess on June 12, 2011

My shopping tripToday I decided it was high time to get back into the drugstore game and drop in CVS for all the freebies they have going on this week. I had accidentally let close to $20 in ECB’s expire and I was so bummed out, I didn’t shop there for nearly a month and a half. It was sad.

Anyway, after CVS I ran over to Target to redeem a coupon I received in the mail for a free carton of eggs. My Target recently revamped into a Super Target and now carries produce and meat. Yay! The prices were ok, nothing amazing, but I’m looking forward to being able to use Target printable store coupons when those pop up.

So how did I do?

I ended up spending $2.87 at Target and $1.98 over at CVS for a grand shopping day total of $4.85 for everything pictured above (including tax)! The retail value for everything would have been $52.99 but with shopping sale prices, using coupons, and participating in store rewards promotions, I saved a whopping 96%!

CVS Transaction #1:

Zyrtec, 5-ct. | $5.99
ECB Earned: $5.99 (Limit 1)

- $5.99 FREE product coupon received by mail (no longer available)
Paid: $0
| After ECB: FREE + $5.99 profit

Bayer Advanced Aspirin, 20-ct. | $3.00
ECB Earned: $1.00 (Limit 1)
- $2/1 from SS 6/12
Paid: $1.00 | After ECB: FREE!

Schick Hydro 3 or 5 Razor | $8.00
ECB Earned: $4.00 (Limit 1)
- $4/1 from SS 6/12
Paid: $4.00 | After ECB: FREE!

Subtotal: $5.00
Used: $5.00 ECB from last weeks Crest Mouthwash Promo
Final Price: $1.40 (tax)

CVS Transaction #2:

Motrin PM, 20-ct. | $4.00
ECB Earned: $3.00 (Limit 3)
- $1/1 Motrin PM Products 6/12/2011 RP Insert (exp 7/30/2011)
Paid: $3.00 | After ECB: FREE!

Dial NutriSkin Lotion | $3.88
- $2/1 Dial Lotion or Body Wash 6/12/2011 RP Insert (exp 6/30/2011)
Final Price: $1.88

Subtotal: $4.88
Used: $4 ECB from Schick Promo & $1 ECB from Bayer Promo
Final Price: $0.58 (tax)

Target Transaction:

Market Pantry Vegetable Oil | $2.29

Market Pantry Grade A Eggs | $1.69
- FREE eggs coupon that came in junk mail
Final Price: FREE!

(2) Degree Deodorant | $3.49
(2) Degree Body Mist | FREE from store sale
- (2) B1G1 Degree Deodorant or Body Mist, Get One FREE 5/22/2011 RP Insert (exp 6/19/2011)
Final Price: Both FREE!

Final Price: $2.87 (includes tax)

Do you have a sweet shopping trip you’d like to share? It’s a great way to inspire those new to couponing! Share your trip in the comments below – I’d love to hear all about it :)

Meryl June 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I had a great night last night!!! My CVS turns over early [Sat nite after 6 PM I think] and I had a $5 off of $20 IP and $3 EBs from the John Frieda deal I had done earlier in the week. And when I scanned my card I got a $5 EB from the Beauty Club, wow!

I did both weeks’ deals- the Fructis 2 for $5, no coupons, and bought 2 Oral B pulsar, using 2 $3 off coupons, and the zyrtec with the $4 off coupon from 4/10 RP, and then did the Kiss false eye lashes- bought 2 using 2 $2 off coupons from here: http://www.amit19.info/2011/06/1-moneymaker-deal-on-kiss-premium-eye.html

My total was under $6 incl tax and I got back $6 EBs from Oral B, $5.99 from the zyrtec, and $5 from the Kiss.

I heard CVS may not keep turning deals over early [Sate nite] but my $5 off of $20 expired yesterday and thankfully my CVS is still honoring both weeks’ deals Sat nite!

Jess June 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Wow, you did amazing! I’ll have to look into that Kiss false eye lashes deal. Thanks for sharing!!

Meryl June 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Do it Jess- I have been wanting to try some for the longest time then saw this deal which is a $1 MM so even better! I have to tell you- I missed a credit card payment yesterday as I was so busy running deals in my head. It takes me 3 seconds to pay a bill online and I just racked up a $25 late fee- WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! All my couponing…for that! Ok, well I am still a work in progress, you know?!

Jess June 13, 2011 at 8:00 am

You might be able to call your credit card company and see if they can waive the late fee. Depending upon your payment history with them, they might be able to work with you if late payments aren’t a normal occurrence. Just a thought!

Melissa June 12, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Have you ever asked if they would honor your expired ECBs? I’ve seen other posts about managers giving the okay to accept them if they recently expired. It couldn’t hurt to ask if it ever happens again. :)

Jess June 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I’ve heard that some locations will accept expired ECB’s by a few days but none of mine would take them. Believe me, I asked! :)

Elena June 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

No worries Jess, I let $30 expire in the past month too…gotta say last night’s midnight run and today’s quick stop has me all hyped up all over again :) great job btw

Jess June 13, 2011 at 8:01 am

It’s always nice to take a break from couponing, but man, I love the rush of getting back into it and scoring such great deals!

Elise June 12, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I went to Vons the other day and bought a ziploc pouch of Nesquik (7 servings), which I never knew it came this way, and used a 50cent coupon which doubled.

99 cents regular price not on sale
Used 50 cent coupon which doubled = FREE

Jess June 13, 2011 at 8:02 am

Ohhhhh I’ll have to look out for those! Great find!

Roxanne June 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I got the Zyrtec too and was really excited about it. Not sure if I could use the FREE coupon and use the extra bucks, because when I used the FREE coupon for John Frieda hair color, I did not get the $2 Extra Bucks :(

Also, when I got the Zyrtec, it deducted $7 (because the coupon said up to $7), so the overage went towards my other items. The cashier was a bit confused and said he hoped he wont get into trouble. I didnt know you can get overage at CVS…..

Jess June 13, 2011 at 8:03 am

You should have received the $2 Extra Bucks if the product was part of an ECB promotion…the coupon shouldn’t have mattered. If you still have your receipt handy give CVS a call! They can have it print for you at the register the next time you shop.

I’m pretty jealous your Zyrtec coupon rang up at the full $7. Mine beeped and the cashier had to enter in the price. CVS does allow coupon overage, you just have to make sure you have enough items in your cart to cover it because they won’t give you actual cash back.

Stive willson June 13, 2011 at 6:54 am